❉ Prescribed reading
Summer Session, Part II [June-August 2019]
• Transformative Dimensions of Adult Learning (Mezirow, 1991)
The Craft of Research (Booth, et al., 2016)
57 Ways to Screw Up in Grad School (Haggerty & Doyle, 2015)
Plus articles and web pages for Week 1 (of 8)...
- Read: Space for Transformation: Relational, Dialogic Pedagogy (Lysaker & Furuness, 2011) [Web page]
- Read: Teaching for Change: Articulating, Profiling, and Assessing Transformative Learning Through Communicative Capabilities (Willink & Jacobs, 2012) [Web page]
- Read: A Guide to Ontology, Epistemology and Philosophical Perspectives for Interdisciplinary Researchers (Blackman & Moon, 2017) [Web page]
- Read: Silencing Whom? Linking Campus Climates for Religious, Spiritual, and Worldview Diversity to Student Worldviews (Mayhew, Bowman, & Rockenbach, 2014) [Web page]
- Read: How Moral Perceptions Influence Intergroup Tolerance (Obeid, Argo & Ginges, 2017)
- Read: Johari Window (Chapman, 2003)
- Read: Week 1: How Do We Make Meaning (Grey, 2018c) [PPT]
Johari Window in Interpersonal Communication (Zakel, 2011) [Video] [Closed captioned]
- Explore: Critical Assessment Taskstream Instructions (Office of Doctoral Studies, 2016a) [PDF]
- Explore: Rubrics for Critical Assessment (Office of Doctoral Studies, 2016b) [PDF]
- Explore: Mindset of a Scholar-Researcher (Concordia University Office of Doctoral Studies, 2018) [PDF]
Explore: Hidden Brain: A Conversation About Life’s Unseen Patterns (NPR, n.d.) [Podcast]
- Subscribe to Podcast
- Transcripts provided for each podcast
These resources are provided to enhance your overall learning experience. For a deeper understanding of the weekly concepts, review these optional resources.
- Ackerman, R. H., & Maslin-Ostrowski, P. (2002). The wounded leader: How real leadership emerges in times of crisis. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Brock, D. E. (2010). Measuring the importance of precursor steps to transformative learning. American Association for Adult and Continuing Education. Adult Education Quarterly 60(2), 122-142.
- Brookfield, S. D. (1995). The power of critical theory: Liberating adult learning and teaching. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Cranton, P. (1994). Understanding and promoting transformative learning: A guide for educators and adults. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Mezirow, J. (2000). Learning as transformation: Critical perspectives on a theory in progress. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Sorokin, P. (1957). Social and cultural dynamics. Boston, MA: Porter Sargent Publishers.
- Taylor, E. (1998). Transformative learning: A critical review. ERIC Clearinghouse on Adult, Career and Vocational Education (Information Series, number 374). Retrieved from https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED423422.pdf
Becker, H. (2007). Writing for social scientists: How to start and finish your thesis, book, or article (2nd ed.). Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
Lamott, A. (1994). Bird by bird: Some instructions on writing and life. New York, NY: Anchor Books.
Kasser, T. (2006). Materialism and is alternatives. In M. Csikszentmihalyi & I. Csikszentmihalyi (Eds.), A life worth living: Contributions to positive psychology (pp. 200 – 214). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
The Handbook of Academic Writing: A Fresh Approach (Murray & Moore, 2006)
Palmer, P. (2004). A hidden wholeness: The journey toward an undivided life. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
Villaseñor, V. (2005). Burro genius: A memoir. San Francisco, CA: Harper Perennial.
Harbin, A. (2016). Disorientation and the moral life. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Bellah, R. N., Madsen, R., Sullivan, W. M., Swidler, A., & Tipton, S. M. (2008). Habits of the heart: Individualism and commitment in American life. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
Borgmann, A. (2006). Real American ethics: Taking responsibility for our country [eBook]. Chicago, IL: The University of Chicago Press.
Boers, A. (2012). Living into focus: Choosing what matters in an age of distraction. Grand Rapids, MI: Brazos Press.